May 29, 2014: Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum in the Library of Sortavala
The Information and Educational Center – Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum was opened in the Library of the District of Sortavala of the Republic of Karelia .
Opening of the Information and Educational Center – Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum in Sortavala was the next stage in creation of a network of Virtual Branches of the Russian Museum in libraries of Karelia and Finland with a central office in Petrozavodsk. The Virtual Branch was opened in order to promote educational resources of the Russian Museum and implement new forms of library work with local community.
The Central Library of the District of Sortavala was opened in 1940. The library has changed its name several times, but it has always remained the central library of the district. Today it includes 13 branches located on the territory of the district. In addition to traditional services the library serves as an information and educational cultural centre of the city. In 1999 the Centre of Legal Information was opened in this library. The Centre aims at providing public legal awareness. The Centre for Social and Cultural Adaptation of Migrants provides consulting services and organizes lessons of tolerance. The library is a centre for preservation of historical memory. In the library there is a unique collection, which includes documents on Sortavala’s history.
Due to implementation of the new information technologies specialists of the library create online games dedicated to the history of settlements of the District of Sortavala and publish them on the official site of the library. Meetings with the writers, poets and musicians, art, photo and handicraft exhibitions are held in the library. This helps to develop creative potential of the local people.
New computers have been installed in the library in the framework of the project. Now library users can get acquainted with unique collection of the museum presented in the form of multimedia programs and films. Public lectures, workshops and presentations dedicated to the history of the Russian art will be held in the Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum.
- July 1 – 5, 2013: seminar "Creative technologies in libraries"
- October 16, 2013: A working meeting
- November 17 - 23, 2013: A professional tour to Finland
- December 5, 2013: A working meeting
- December 11, 2013: A working meeting
- December 24, 2013: A final meeting of Russian participants
- February 2014: A new place for reading, communication, creation and new ideas in Kondopoga
- February - March 2014: Opening the Information and Educational Centers – Virtual Branches of the Russian Museum
- January 29, 2014: Intermediate results of the project
- March 18, 2014: New Spaces and New Forms of Library Work
- March 31, 2014: Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum in the Central Library of Kostomuksha City District
- April 5, 2014: Children’s drawing competition “Endangered plants and animals of Karelia”
- May 26, 2014: presentation of The Red Book of Karelia for Children
- May 29, 2014: Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum in the Library of Sortavala
- June 8, 2014: The Information and Educational Center – Virtual Branch of the Russian Museum in Kondopoga
- September 26, 2014: The National Library of the Republic of Karelia took part in the Project Fair
- November 12-13, 2014: Summing up the results of the project “Libraries Make a Difference: New Forms of Library Activity for Local Communities”
- December 23, 2014: Summing up the results of the project on the Day of Cultural Innovations. Project closure